The Tupper Lake Public Library, AKA the Goff-Nelson Memorial Library, seeks a temporary Project Archivist who will be responsible for processing and digitizing items from the library’s local history collection. Specifically, the Project Archivist will be tasked with creating and implementing a processing plan for arranging and describing the library’s collections; rehousing photos, ephemera, and maps; and creating DACS-compliant finding aids to be uploaded to the library’s website.
Upon completion of the processing, the Project Archivist will also be responsible for digitizing the photograph collection; creating item-level metadata for each photograph; and assisting in the uploading of the images to the New York Digital Heritage website. The Project Archivist will work under the supervision of the Library Director but must be able to work independently. This position is being created through grants from the Northern New York Library Network and the Aseel Legacy Fund.
Preferred Qualifications Include
- MLIS or MLIS student
- Specialization in archives
- Previous experience processing archival collections
- Completed coursework in archival standards and best practices
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, interpersonal, planning, and analytical skills
- Knowledge of digitization, library catalog systems, and computer hardware
- Demonstrated proficiency and capabilities with personal computers and software, the Web, and library-relevant information technology applications.
- Working knowledge of standard computer office applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, or other productivity software.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Processing records to archival standards and performing basic preservation functions when necessary
- Rehousing photographs and other items as needed
- Creating DACS-compliant finding aids
- Creating item-level metadata
- Managing digitization process of photograph collection
- Carrying out other duties as assigned
The total project is estimated to take 560 hours, or four months at 35hrs/week. More flexible schedules may be considered for the right candidate.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Send resume and cover letter to Ben Gocker, Library Director at email@example.com